What are ways to boost my family’s immunity?
- Take essential vitamins and minerals (B-complex, C, D, E, Zinc)
- Improve your gut health (Fiber and Probiotics)
- Add beneficial herbs (Echinacea and Elderberry)
With almost two years of pandemic on top of colder months, you or your loved ones getting sick is even more likely. In these “ber” months, it’s more important to incorporate habits that can help you and your family stay safe amid dangerous times.
But there isn’t one magic pill that can immediately ensure safety — instead, we encourage using a holistic approach to achieve better immunity. So, here’s five ways to boost your family’s immunity, and give the #GiftOfHealth to your loved ones this holiday season.
Take essential vitamins and minerals (B-complex, C, D, E, Zinc)
The very foundation of your body’s immune system is built on a healthy balance of essential vitamins and minerals. Here is a list of the five vitamins that have the most potent effect on your immunity:
- B-complex — Each B vitamin plays a role in your immune health, but vitamin B6, in particular, is much vital It supports numerous biochemical reactions in the immune system, needed to keep it strong and functioning. B6 is also used to produce red blood cells, white blood cells, and T cells, which regulate immune responses. It is also essential in producing protein interleukin-2 which triggers and directs white blood cell activity.
- Vitamin C — Considered the most immune-promoting of all vitamins. Vitamin C supports both your innate and adaptive immune responses, as well as fight off free radicals in your body. Taking lots of vitamin C can reduce inflammation, helping you avoid feeling fatigued or falling sick. Daily doses of Vitamin C are essential for immune health because your body doesn’t produce or store it.
- Vitamin D — Also known as the sunshine vitamin, this can be difficult to get naturally during colder months. It’s one of the most important and powerful vitamins for your immune system as it helps keep your immune responses balanced.
- Vitamin E — Another powerful antioxidant, it helps your body fight off infection and illness. Vitamin E is also used for cells to communicate with each other. As a result, it contributes to nearly 200 biochemical reactions in your body, all of which are needed for your immune system to function.
- Zinc — An essential mineral that people need to stay healthy. Zinc is what our body requires to produce proteins and DNA, which are the building blocks of all of our cells. Zinc is also used to fight off invading viruses and bacteria. This mineral can’t be stored in your body, so taking a daily dose is needed.
You can find all of these vitamins and minerals in Puritan’s Pride’s top-notch supplements! We also offer multivitamins with all the nutrients you and your family need for a robust immune system. Take ABC Plus Multivitamin for your daily dose of vitamin B, C, D, E, and more in just one supplement!
Improve your gut health (Fiber and Probiotics)
Aside from a healthy serving of vitamins and minerals, you should also be paying attention to your family’s gut health. Doctors believe that up to 80% of your immune system lies in your gut.
For gut health, fiber and probiotics play the most vital role. Fiber-rich foods like vegetables, fruits, beans, whole grains, and the like are crucial to getting a healthy balance of soluble and insoluble fiber. This is needed to maintain a healthy gut microbiome, which encourages proper absorption of nutrients and helps your metabolic process.
Probiotics, found in fermented food, also have a very potent effect on your gut health. Probiotics introduce healthy bacteria into your gut microbiome, helping to keep your gut flora healthy and strong. When your gut is in better shape, it filters a lot of the toxins that enter your body through the water and food you eat.
If you’re worried that your family can’t eat the recommended amount of veggies and fermented food every day, we suggest supplementing your diet. Take Puritan’s Pride’s Fiber Diet tablets and Probiotic capsules — they’ll provide a hefty dose of these gut health boosters!
Add beneficial herbs (Echinacea and Elderberry)
Herbs, berries, and flowering plants are great for our immune health because they contain something called “bioflavonoids” — plant compounds with a variety of health benefits. Of all the things you can take to add bioflavonoids to your diet, echinacea and elderberry are the most important ones for your immune system.
Echinacea is a flowering plant native to North America, traditionally used in indigenous American medicine. Recent research supports their health claims and shows that echinacea has powerful anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and pain-relieving properties and is also one of the top herbs for immune support. Researchers found that having regular doses of this plant increase the number of white blood cells fighting infections.
Elderberry, on the other hand, is brimming with antioxidants and vitamins that boost your immune system. Antioxidants aside, elderberries are extremely nourishing. They contain phytosterols, carbohydrates, proteins, fatty acids, and minerals that contribute to your cellular and immune health. They keep your cells strong and reduce inflammation, lessening the stress on your immune system, protecting your body and easing symptoms of common illnesses, like the flu.
Your family’s nutrition is the foundation of their overall health. Use our guide on ways to boost family immunity, and supply the right vitamins, minerals, and essential nutrients with the best supplements to fuel their immune system.
This season, Puritan’s Pride wants to empower you with the #GiftOfHealth to your loved ones. Check out our catalog, or our health blogs, for more ways you can keep your family safe at this time and beyond.